Die Gemeinschaft e.V. (German for “the community”) is a network of artisanal food producers and restaurateurs who are aware of their shared responsibility on the plate.
Our aim is to unite the culinary actors of the country with a new approach to collective action. Together we want to establish a new, independent food culture that celebrates real food, appreciates and preserves localities, honors craftspeople of every kind, promotes respectful cooperation and puts nature’s value first. By sharing our knowledge, learning from other disciplines and supporting each other, we want to create tangible alternatives that inspire others. With honesty, respect, empathy and humility.
We are restaurateurs and farmers, bakers and cheesemakers, academics and trainees, creatives and retailers, activists and cooks. We see ourselves as a platform for all actors along the value chain who critically examine current and future issues of our food system. We believe that closer cooperation, a better understanding of each other and personal relationships are the driving forces for a better food system.
Die Gemeinschaft e.V. was initiated in 2017 by two Berlin restaurants, Horváth and Nobelhart & Schmutzig. In our manifesto, we outlined the philosophy, goals and values that drive our work. Starting form there, we want to encourage more and more people to consider our approach. We put our goals into practice through formats such as farm visits, our kitchen meetups “Warenrunde“, our Stammtisch and the conversation series “Comfort Food“. Quintessential to our work is our annual Symposium.
The initiators of Die Gemeinschaft from left to right: Billy Wagner and Micha Schäfer from Restaurant Nobelhart & Schmutzig, Jeannine Kessler and Sebastian Frank from Restaurant Horváth. In the front manager Friederike Gaedke.
What others say about us:
- 03.2020 Schluck Magazin | Wählen mit Messer und Gabel
- 12.02.2020 Zeit Magazin | Die Zukunft der Landwirtschaft kann ganz schön alt aussehen
- 01.2020 B-EAT Magazin | Foodmover Friederike Gaedke
- 12.2019 Berlin Fashion Week Magazine | Future Food, Seite 60f
- 11.2019 Speisekarte tip Berlin 2020 | Objektiv Betrachtet, Seite 19
- 13.09.2019 Allgemeine Hotel- und Gastronomiezeitung | Symposium zur Esskultur – Auf in den Kampf für gute Lebensmittel
- 08.01.2018 Freunde von Freunden | A discourse on Berlin’s advancing gastronomic scene over the last decade with the city’s key culinary players
- 23.10.2016 Kost magazin | Stadt Land Food 2016: Billy Wagner über die Gemeinschaft für deutsche Esskultur